Sunday, April 9, 2023

Fruiting Bodies

 


What Moves the Dead by T. Kingfisher

My Rating: 4.25 out of 5 stars.

My Review on Goodreads


I have been on a T. Kingfisher glom since last year, and I don't see it ending anytime soon. I will be real here. I have loved Edgar Allan Poe since I was high school kid and we read some of his stories in class. I was that kid who loved scary, Gothic stories, and I haven't changed much. So this was so innovative retelling of his short novel, The Fall of the House of Usher, was definitely something I wanted to read. I believe I did read the original, or at least a part of it, but I don't remember it. I plan to listen to the audiobook this year to refresh myself. Having said that, I don't think you need to read the original to enjoy this story.


The Gothic atmosphere is flawless. A rotting ancestral manse, and an aristocratic family whose remaining members are dying on the vine. Enter a character who knows nothing about that life, but who is entangled with the remaining two Usher family members through friendship. As the reader, you are immersed in the story by that character's point of view. Along with the trappings of the Gothic, there is also horror of the body and contagious variety. Let me tell you, that is a really sore spot for me. I feel this type of horror on a visceral level. I have a background in biological science, so I know a lot about pathology, infectious disease and microorganisms, so I was cringing so hard when I read this. Having said that, I was entrenched and I was so invested. Kingfisher is very good at description without bogging down the story with details that are unnecessary. There's enough of the setting to draw a mental image and to bring things to life. But she also nailed describing what was happening to poor Madeline in an very visceral way, and how it impacted Easton, our main character. I was rooting for Easton to find a way to help their friends and keep themselves safe at the same time.

A note on the cultural aspects. Kingfisher goes into some detail describing through their own narrative, the background of the lead character, who is non-binary. I absolutely appreciated this. It felt very natural, and was in no way a preachy way of asserting the importance of self-definition as a person and conveying the struggles of those who don't fit neatly into the boxes that humans create for others and themselves. I often had to remind myself that Easton was nonbinary (female at birth but working and living in a masculine space), as their energy did feel a bit more masculine their personality exerts themselves as their own definition of gender. It made some sense as Easton spent more of their life in the military. The aspects of how the Galician (sorry I listened to the audiobook, so the spellings might not be correct) works and how soldiers are by nature non-binary.
was super interesting and enriching to me as a reader.

So let's talk about Fungi. How do you feel about them? Do you have a love or hate relationship to them? I love eating mushooms, but I am somewhat repulsed by fungi in most other ways. I understand their place in the ecosystem but I tend to think of them also as pathogens that invade and destroy. If you are like me or maybe you don't even like to eat mushrooms, be aware! I had to compartmentalize my feelings about my beloved edible mushrooms as I read this book. Having studied the biology of fungi, I am well aware of how they grow and their anatomy, and I had some very disturbed moments as that plays out in this story. I will say no more about that other than to say, wow, this story has such a unique twist.

I would be inclined to give this a 4.25/5.0 stars. I think it's not a five star because it's a little too short. I would have loved to spend more time with these characters. In my heart of hearts, I hope Easton returns for more adventures.

A note on the narrator: I quite enjoyed the narrator's vocal stylings. She made sure every joke by the very funny Kingfisher landed. I enjoy the heck out of dry wit, and there is a lot of that in spades. The observations that Easton made about people through their understanding really endeared this book to me. I laughed so hard while reading this. I am so glad that there is a lot of humor, and also deep emotional caring/investment in this story along with the disturbing body horror aspects.

I recommend reading this if you're not too squeamish. It's far from gruesome or over-the-top, but there are some squicky aspects if you are a germaphobe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

When Schools Attack

  A Deadly Education by Naomi Novik My Rating: Five out of Five Stars. My Review on Goodreads Here I am, almost three years late writing thi...