Sunday, April 9, 2023

The River Knows


 Paola Santiago and the River of Tears by Tehlor Kay Mehia

My Rating: 3.5/5.0 stars.

My Review on Goodreads


This book was a reminder that sometimes, you have to hang in there. To me, this was a slow starter. And then it gets pretty weird, and I was brought to ask myself what was going on. Maybe it was so different from what I expected and that threw me off. Ultimately, I enjoyed the book, but I had a few issues with it that brought my rating down.

Paola, or Pao as she's called, has a huge chip on her shoulder. However, I do like that she is self-aware of her anger issues and how it makes her relationships with others complicated. Pao has a rocky relationship with her mother, as they are polar opposites. Pao is an empiricist, and is very focused on the scientific method (she is fascinated with space), whereas her mother is spiritually-minded, believes in healing crystals and candles. Pao blames her mother for their poor situation in life, not having a lot of money. Pao comes off as quite bitter at times. This is pretty important to the story as things go along, but it was a bit of a drawback.

The plot had a sense of vagueness that I didn't care for. In general, I learned what was going on behind the phenomena, but I don't feel like the mechanisms were explained enough for me. It was left to a superficial explanation that didn't work for me. I was left with this feeling that the author just wanted us to accept that things could happen because of magic. But there is a natural component brought up that made me wonder if some of the phenomena is not related to the location where it occurs and not just because of magic. I feel like this was a missed opportunity, as Pao, a scientist, conceivably would have wondered about that.

Yeah, I know, I'm over-thinking this book. Having said all that, I appreciate what this book does well. I loved how it shows people of Latinx cultures and how they are not a monolith, although it also shows how there are shared values that are foundational to their community. It's a story of loving your parents and giving them the benefit of the doubt that they are doing the best they can for you even if it doesn't seem like it. I loved the way that the narrative allows Pao to look at how her behavior and attitudes are a form of self-sabotage. That was so important to her growth as a character as she starts out borderline unlikable in parts. It also looks at the importance of friendships in which you are accepted as your authentic self, warts and all. The book also touches on the bigotry experienced by Latinx people, including unjust treatment by law enforcement and a lack of economic opportunities.

I can't say I 100% liked the direction the author took with the La Llorona legend, but it was an interesting twist. Overall, this was an enjoyable book, and I'm glad I was able to get the audiobook from my library, as it has one of my new favorite narrators, Frankie Corso. She's read a few of Silvia Moreno-Garcia books, and I love her voice. There's a lot to recommend about this book, despite any shortcomings. I will always support narratives by people who write about their own culture, and I can't get enough of it. I'll keep reading this series.

Check out my profile on Goodreads!

No comments:

Post a Comment

When Schools Attack

  A Deadly Education by Naomi Novik My Rating: Five out of Five Stars. My Review on Goodreads Here I am, almost three years late writing thi...