Saturday, April 8, 2023

DNA


 

Upgrade by Blake Crouch

My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars.

My Review on Goodreads


This felt a lot like a blockbuster sci-fi action movie, and I'm not mad about it. I really liked the scientific foundations for everything and how there is credible science behind the plotting. I know that some of the changes induced by genetic modification are probably a bit far-fetched, but it doesn't feel like it when I was reading the book. It felt very plausible. My career background is science, so I like a story that has some good science foundations, if it's supposed to be a science fiction book. I get the impression that Crouch did his homework.

I liked that Logan was a bit of an unlikely hero who has to step up to the plate when the occasion and his unique identity puts him in that situation. If I had a few qualms, I feel like the secondary characters, even pivotal ones, feel a tad under-developed. I definitely think Crouch put more thought process into the science and the plotting than the characterizations. In my mind, a very crucial character had so many opportunities to be so much more than what they were, especially considering the situation they were in and the deeper motivations the characters struggled through. To me, the best villains are the ones who and layered and complex, giving me more opportunities to ponder their POV, at least a little. Honestly, I ended up putting this down for a week or three because I got less involved after a fairly good start. I'm glad I picked it up. It was great listening to this as I tromped around my neighborhood through the foot of snow that fell a few days earlier. I wasn't previously that enamored with the narrator, but he grew on me as I got move involved with the story.

I think this story says some pretty profound things in an unassuming package. This would make a really good popcorn movie, but also give the viewers a lot to think about at the same time. I gave this four stars for that reason, but I would have liked deeper characterizations to go along with the very interesting science and overall involving storytelling.

I have heard from others that this isn't his best book, which makes me enthused to check out his other sci-fi books, if they are better liked.

No comments:

Post a Comment

When Schools Attack

  A Deadly Education by Naomi Novik My Rating: Five out of Five Stars. My Review on Goodreads Here I am, almost three years late writing thi...