Sunday, April 9, 2023

The Ultimate Prey



Out of the Dark by Gregg Hurwitz (Orphan X Book #4)

My Rating: 5 out of 5 stars.

 I am so in love with this series. Sometimes you are afraid that new books in the series cannot live up to the hype, but with this series, that definitely has not happened for me. I love these books so much, I have reread all the first four at the time of this review. I have the other books, and I am waiting for a good time to dive back into this series. I strongly recommend the audiobook. Scott Brick is brilliant at narrating the books. For me, he's how Evan Smoak sounds.


It's not like Evan doesn't have challenging situations to deal with. It's just that he's just that damn good at what he does. And like the Hulk, you really don't want to get on his bad side.

There are parallel missions running. One in which Evan is tracking his ultimate prey, the President (you heard me right), and helping a young man who has been subjected to the most horrific situation imaginable. I just absolutely love Evan. He's scary as hell, but only if you deserve it. He's the guy you want to have your back, because he will watch your back but good. Maybe it's sadistic of me, but I love watching him rain down the fires of God on the bad guys. What I also love is that while Evan learned to be the perfect killer, his mentor Jack also taught him what love and loyalty is, and that caring man comes out in the choices he makes throughout the book.

Each scene is meticulously plotted and beautifully written. I so want to see this on the big or small screen. One of my favorite scenes is a huge spoiler, but reading it for the second time was just as fantastic as the first.

This is the best action/adventure/thriller series I've read. I love me some Matt Reilly and Scarecrow, but the Evan Smoak series has surplanted it in my mind (sorry Matt, I still love you!) If you haven't read this series, what are you doing? Do yourself a favor and pick up Orphan X right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

When Schools Attack

  A Deadly Education by Naomi Novik My Rating: Five out of Five Stars. My Review on Goodreads Here I am, almost three years late writing thi...