Friday, April 28, 2023

Love Me Tender

 




Barbarian's Prize by Ruby Dixon (Book 5 in Ice Planet Barbarian's series)

My Rating: 3.5 out of 5.0 stars

My Review on Goodreads


In book five of the "Ice Planet Barbarians" series, almost all of the Earth women who crash-landed on the planet have found their mates with the local species of blue humanoids. Tiffany is far from eager for her turn.  In fact, she just wants to be left alone. The unmated males are buzzing around her like bees around a flower, and she's feeling overwhelmed. Salukh knows that Tiffany is his mate, even if his symbiont hasn’t resonated for her.  He is playing the long game and more than willing to give her time. He is happy to woo her and to be there for her.  Tiffany hates all the male attention, but she feels strangely drawn to Salukh, even knowing it’s not to meant to be. 

Barbarian’s Prize is a short but spicy-sweet romance story.  Spicy in that the love scenes are very frequent and very detailed. Sweet in that Tiffany and Salukh seem to have a very meaningful connection that goes beyond sex, even if the symbiont isn't saying so.  Despite the short length, the characters are well-developed. Salukh’s a gentle giant who would do anything for the woman who has his heart.  Tiffany is a trying to find her feet after a terrible event, and seeking a sense of purpose in her new life on the planet she dubs Not-Hoth (a call out to Star Wars's ice planet Hoth). Despite her issues, she does trust and loves spending time with Salukh, and he grows in her affections with each moment they spend together, getting past her feels and mental barriers against romance. Readers who love a sweet, kind hero who always puts the needs of his heroine first will fall head over heels for Salukh.  Tiffany’s reticence and fears are very understandable, given her past.  Their courtship is well paced as this couple take careful steps into deeper intimacy, rendered in spicy and steamy detail on the page.  The love that develops between them is believable, and Tiffany’s trauma is dealt with in a respectful, caring way. Readers who dive into this series with this book won’t feel confused as the storyline gives context to previous happenings.  

I wasn't in the mood for a book that's primarily focused on sexy times, so I was ready to move on from the love scenes at a certain point, and I wanted a little more plot.   My mind wanted to know more about the planet and if there are other humanoid cultures in other geographic regions.  I want to know how they established their communities on the planet.  I have to remind myself that's not the point of the book.  It's probably also the fact that I haven't been reading as much romance lately and I've gotten used to other parts of the story being equally explored. There's no real external conflict, so if you want a story that's more low stakes, this is for you. That said, I enjoy Dixon's writing.  I love stories about true love winning the day and this definitely fits the bill. Readers looking for a quick, very steamy and heartfelt paranormal romance that spends its time mainly on the couple interactions with a few meaningful interactions with side characters will enjoy this book.   I do plan to read other books in the series, and I'm ready for Josie's story now!

Overall rating: 3.5/5.0 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

When Schools Attack

  A Deadly Education by Naomi Novik My Rating: Five out of Five Stars. My Review on Goodreads Here I am, almost three years late writing thi...