Sunday, October 3, 2021

The Tree of Life and Death

 



The Night Gardener by Jonathan Auxier 

Rating: 4 out of 5 stars


 I picked this one up as an audiobook from my library because I love middle grade books and I am quite drawn to horror books in this age genre. I feel like authors can be so creative about crafting a scary tale for readers of this age. I went into it knowing nothing, just wanting a creepy tale, and definitely got that.

The author nails the gothic atmosphere. It felt very grounded in the 19th century. The narrative isn't preachy, but it's clear that the author did research and understood his characters and the world they lived in. For me, that makes for great storytelling because their motives, choices and struggles are intrinsic to the story. Instead of being pulled out of the narrative by an interlude where you feel like the author is giving you tidbits on historical events, the history notes are fully part of the story. Now I love history, and I enjoyed reading a good fictional tale and learning more about the period it's set in. But I also think it's important to keep things organic, and that was done really well.

The story is about two orphans, Molly and Kip, who are Irish and have had terrible experiences. They are homeless and things are desperate for them. Molly is at the age where she might have to do some questionable things to provide for her younger brother. And Kip has a leg that is disabled, which limits what he can do to bring in money to help them. Sadly at this time, there are no lawes preventing children working and they have no other options. They end up traveling to a small town in the English countryside and seeking employment at a house that the locals avoid. But they are so desperate for a safe place of shelter, they are willing to take the chance. Molly is a born storyteller, a craft that she has used to insulate Kip about some tragic truths about why they are separated from their parents. Molly also uses her stories to keep her own hope alive. When she convinces Mrs. Windsor to hire her, Molly's gift of persuasion comes in handy, as the lady is reluctant to hire children as servants.

The story is from the viewpoint of both Molly and Kip as they encounter life with the Windsors in a house that feels deeply off. While Molly is highly resourceful and insightful, Kip also has a gift for seeing the essence of a situation and has a very strong compass that guides his actions. He has such a strong sense of determination and is both kind and practical. Their Irish heritage is looked down upon by many (a time when Anti-Irish bigotry was rampant), however, it is a strength for them as they draw from their upbringing (and the lessons their parents instilled in them) to navigate their difficult circumstances.

As I mentioned earlier, Auxier builds wonderful atmosphere as the story progresses and more become clear about the house and the dominating force of the large tree that is actually growing through the house. Each one of the Windsors has fallen under its spell as the tree has both enthralled and entrapped them. Molly and Kip are not immune, and that ratchets up the sense of threat for readers. It's very much a case of being careful what you wish for (that's all I'll say).

I appreciate how the true malevolent force was revealed and even that was entwined with the ongoing theme of storytelling. As a lover of books and stories, that resonated with me.

This story has some genuinely scary moments. It was also very thrilling. I got very involved in the plot as I listened. I cared about the characters and I wanted them to be safe. I like that Molly, Kip and the Windsors, the father Bertram, mother Constance, and kids Penny and Alastair, are all flawed humans, with good and bad points. While some of the characters may seem unsympathetic at some points, their inner vulnerabilities are revealed and it's clear that they have hurts and anguish, hopes and dreams that drive their choices. The theme of family and what you would do to protect yours, but also how much family matters to you is a huge part of the narrative.

I was glad I finished this one in October although I started it at the end of September, because it really fits the spooky mood of the month. Yesterday I was driving to and from work, and it was a blustery, rainy day, and it was just the perfect atmosphere. I think this book would be perfect to read on such a cold, rainy day curled up with a hot drink, wearing wool socks and a fleece blanket. Even better if you have a cat or dog hanging out with you.

The narrator was really good. Her accents were gorgeous. I loved her Irish accents for Molly and Kip. It was very involving and thrilling to listen to this story.

This was a solid four star read. I think I would have rated it higher if it hadn't take a while for things to get going. Initially I wasn't sure what I was reading and where the plot would go. It's not necessarily a bad thing if you want a story that slowly builds up. I think I wanted things to get spooky a little more soon. It appeals to me as a lover of classic and gothic horror stories, and I think the concept was very interesting, and it felt unique to me.

I do recommend this book to middle grade readers who like the spooky and creepy, and older folks like me who enjoy this theme and reading books for this age range.

No comments:

Post a Comment

When Schools Attack

  A Deadly Education by Naomi Novik My Rating: Five out of Five Stars. My Review on Goodreads Here I am, almost three years late writing thi...