Thursday, October 7, 2021

Just Admit You Like Him Already!

 



Don't Toy With Me, Miss Nagatoro, Vol. 1 by Nanashi


Review: 3.5 out of 5 stars


I heard about this Manga indirectly, from a You Tube anime recommendations list. I was intrigued because it seems like the twist on that old thing my mom and family would tell me if a boy at school was teasing me. It was because he liked me. I can definitely see some of that in Nagatoro's treatment of Naoto. However, at first it made me uncomfortable because it did come off as bullying. I was bullied from elementary up to my junior year of high school, so I can tell you how bullying made me feel. I felt really bad for Naoto. I think I would have hated Nagatoro except for at the end of each chapter there's an interlude where she questions her actions. That made it clear to me that she had a thing for Naoto and she was acting out, trying to get his attention. What would have been nice is for to jsut admit it, instead of playing games. I really hate that she made Naoto cry in some parts. But the end was pretty good as the tables are turned on Nagatoro.

I was really surprised how sexual this gets. No there is no sex. But there is a lot of sexually suggestive dialogue from Nagatoro's part, and some really overt sexual teasing as Nagatoro does exactly what the name of the story implies.

As for the artwork, it's very good. I do like the way that Nagatoro is drawn. She's very impish and cute in a devilish way. I also liked Naoto's rendering. Poor guy was so shy and prone to blushing. This is my first manga so I kept forgetting that you have to swipe to the left to keep reading. LOL.

Is this book for everyone? Nope. Did I like it? Yes. Will I read more? Yes. Feel free to judge me. I'm just curious and I think that the author didn't manage to go over my hard line. I'm glad my library has this in ebook so I can indulge my curiosity without having to buy all the mangas.

I'm giving it a 3.5 stars because Nagatoro is really quite unsympathetic for the first 2/3 of the book.




No comments:

Post a Comment

When Schools Attack

  A Deadly Education by Naomi Novik My Rating: Five out of Five Stars. My Review on Goodreads Here I am, almost three years late writing thi...