Saturday, April 8, 2023

Ghost Talking at Midnight

 

 

My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars.

My Review on Goodreads


I love a good dark urban fantasy with ghosty goodness and a health dose of "what am I reading." This fits the bill. There's also a great, and unique lead narrative voice. This had a post-apocalyptic feel, after some event that caused civilization as we know it to decline. Ghosts roam around freely, and Ropa has the ability to communicate with them. For a price, she will help them achieve what they are lingering around for. A desperate, recently dead ghost asks for Ropa to help her child, but has no way to pay. Ropa is supporting her grandmother and sister, so she doesn't work for free. However, she is convinced to help the spirit, finding a sinister far-reaching conspiracy of missing children.

This is a very unique feeling young adult story with a variety of textures. Huchu's writing is very sensorial, immersing the reader in the world he had created, mostly bad with a little bit of good. There are some genuinely scary moments, along with lots of intense, thrilling sequences. While I had some ideas about where things were leading, I didn't predict the way this story was going to play out at all.

I would recommend the audiobook for this one, because it really adds to the experience. Dark, atmospheric, complex, and suprisingly humorous in parts, I enjoyed this book quite a bit.


Check out my profile on Goodreads!

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

When Schools Attack

  A Deadly Education by Naomi Novik My Rating: Five out of Five Stars. My Review on Goodreads Here I am, almost three years late writing thi...