Saturday, April 8, 2023

Lesson in Love


 Take a Hint, Dani Brown by Talia Hibbert

My Rating: 4.5/5.0 stars.

My Review on Goodreads


I read this shortly after I finished Get a Life, Chloe Brown, and it's a completely different kind of love story, but that makes sense as Dani is very different from her sister, and her approach to life and point-of-view is very distinct. I honestly didn't connect to Dani in the same way as I did to Chloe. Having said that, I became very engaged in Dani's story and it really helped to see her viewpoint in so many ways. Dani seems really tough and edgy, very confident, but interestingly, she is quite vulnerable. The choices she makes are not always decisive, but quite a few are reactionary and have put this very free spirit in a box in ways that one would not think was possible. She was so funny and silly, but also really brilliant. I really came to care about her. She's basically a big marshmallow with bad bitch energy.

I'd be lying if I didn't admit I fell in love with Zafir first. I had never heard of the term "cinnamon roll hero" until 2021 (from Booktube), but I mean, if those haven't been my favorite heroes since forever, other than lethal heroes (who are soft for their heroine)? Well Zafir fits the bill to the tee. He's a big and scary looking guy, but he is the biggest sweetheart on earth. He's so caring and I loved, loved his interactions with his family--mom, sister-in-law, and niece. He would probably move the earth for them (he probably could, he's a very big strong guy). A former professional Rugby player, he's been hiding from life since a tragic loss, and nursing a crush on Dani (seeing her come through the hallway everyday is the highlight of his day). When people think they're dating, they're thrown together in a way that gives them both a chance to explore the sexual chemistry on both sides, but it is much more than that. It's an opportunity to feel valued and be in a comforting relationship. Also, Dani, who has not believed in relationships for reasons can experience what it's like to be cherished by someone who wants more from her than just an orgasm.

When I was listening to this book, I could see a lot of self-sabotage in Dani. She's brilliant and capable, but it's like her self-confidence hides a lot of vulnerability and she's taught herself not to need or expect better from others. In the process, she's also hurt people who care about her. Sometimes she frustrated me with her choices and her blindness about things. But she definitely grew as a person, which I appreciated.

Zafir also had to grow in some ways. He had some healing to do. Zafir had so much to offer and he was continuing to punish himself for something that wasn't his fault. His family and friends could see that, and wanted more for him. He just couldn't see it for himself. I was happy to see Zafir finally realize that he had the freedom to be happy.

I was happy to see the development of the loving, deep relationship between Dani and Zafir. They had a friendship that naturally became more, and sex was part of it, but not the most important thing, which was good, since Dani had a series of relationships that were just about sex. While both needed to grow, I didn't feel like either was saving each other, but in the process of relating to each other, they were growing as people for their own self-actualization. Having said that, being in relationship contributed to them both being happy and loved.

Like Chloe's book, there is plenty of laugh out loud humor, a lot of situational humor, and lovely interpersonal exchanges between Dani and Zafir and the people in their lives they love. I really appreciated having two main characters who are very diverse. Dani is upper class, highly educated (PhD), Black British, pagan, plus-sized, bisexual and Zafir is a Pakistani Muslim son of immigrants who is quite the momma's boy (in the best way).

This book was definitely worth the read. The narrator is the same from the first book, and I love her voice. I cheered when Chloe and Red were in this book (I unapologetically am president of their fan club). I also loved that Dani has her supportive sisters and family and her friend Sorcha in her corner, just like Zafir has his family and good friend in his. Also appreciated the bonding moments with his team of kids he is teaching rugby to. The steamy times were great, but for me, I think they are going more towards spicy territory than my personal tastes. It makes sense for Dani's personality , and I have to say that Zafir is one hot dude! I would love to see who they cast for them if a movie is ever made (pretty please!).

I think this one sits at 4.5 stars for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

When Schools Attack

  A Deadly Education by Naomi Novik My Rating: Five out of Five Stars. My Review on Goodreads Here I am, almost three years late writing thi...