Sunday, September 11, 2022

Disaster in Shining Armor

 


  The Darkest Craving (Lords of the Underworld #10) by Gena Showalter

My Rating: Five out of Five Stars

My Review on Goodreads

Oh I really liked this one. My heart wants to give it five stars, even though logically I know it's not perfect. I rated it highly because I loved Kane and Josephina together and I rooted intensely for them both. I'm a sucker for down on their luck lead characters. Kane is played as kind of a joke from the moment he's introduced into the Lord of the Underworld storyline. He's possessed by the Demon of Disaster, and every thing that could go wrong does to him. And let's just say you don't want to be too close because his bad mojo will catch you in its crosshairs. He's kind of like a walking Final Destination movie. But in this book, you really get to see how tragic his story is. My heart really hurt for Kane. I think that's why I loved him with Josephina, because she's introduced as an equally downtrodden, tragic heroine. Her family literally wants her dead and she's been on the run. She's literally begging for her death at this point because she's been taught by her family that she doesn't deserve to live. It's just awful. My heart gets sad just thinking about it. I knew I was really going to like them as a couple.

However, some truly awful, crappy stuff happens to Kane in this book. This one comes with trigger warnings. I was really shocked as a matter of fact. It goes to quite a dark place for Kane. I have a feeling that won't work for some people and I respect why. The trauma he goes through would really be a source of discomfort for some who would read this book. I would recommend avoiding it if you haven't read it and you have some issues with that content. Although Showalter doesn't go into great detail, the idea of what happens to him is very distressing, and the reader has to go through his journey of recovering from it. I definitely felt for him and wanted him to have some peace, and I wanted Disaster to leave him alone.

Josephina is like a fairy tale heroine, and that's probably why I gravitated towards her. She is a really sweet soul and anyone who wishes ill for her is a terrible person. I was really glad that she had Kane in her corner protecting her. She needed a protective knight and she found one. I loved the direction that Showalter went in this story that was quite different from the other books, and it really fit the story.

Showalter sometimes does this thing where stuff happens in her books, and it's so glossed over, I'm like 'huh?' There was a moment like that about another ongoing subplot in the story, and I didn't like it that much. It was kind of random and should have been more impactful than the way she wrote it. That's probably the main thing I didn't like about this book. Otherwise, despite the fact that this book has some really dark themes that might be distressing for some readers, I really enjoyed this book. While some might think this was a filler book in the series, I really loved this story for Kane and Josephina.

While Torin is my all-time favorite, Aeron is my second favorite, Cameo is number three, Kane is my fourth favorite of the Lords of the Underworld.

Check Out My Goodreads Profile!



No comments:

Post a Comment

When Schools Attack

  A Deadly Education by Naomi Novik My Rating: Five out of Five Stars. My Review on Goodreads Here I am, almost three years late writing thi...