Sunday, September 11, 2022

An Inauspicious Beginning

 


The Lions of Lucerne (Scot Harvath #1) by Brad Thor

My Rating: 2 stars out of 5 stars

My Review on Goodreads


It looks like I am in the minority on this book. I did not like it. Unfortunately, this is going to be gripe review. Sad thing is, I've had this on my list for several years, as I do love the kickass heroes. It started out okay. I actually liked the beginning, but the book got increasingly bad as it went along. I thought that Scot's decision-making was terrible. He basically bumbled his way through the whole book. While I liked that he didn't give up, I wanted him to be more thoughtful about what he did and to, I don't know, make plans, and think things through. Lord, the collateral damage in this book, whew! I really hate when the lead character's dumb decisions get other people killed. I think the only part of this book that I liked was when he dressed up in disguise.

A huge problem I had with the book was the characterization, both lead and secondary. I already mentioned my problems with Scot. He's supposed to be this super-elite Secret Service agent who was a Navy SEAL, but it's like his brain stopped working. Shouldn't he have more tactical decision-making skills than he showed in this book. I feel like Claudia was barely fleshed out, although she was definitely more intelligent than any of the other characters. She basically saved Scot's bacon multiple times in this book, which I'm here for. I feel like that and her being beautiful and constantly being hit on were her major character traits in this book. Even so, there was a sexist undertone to the book that I didn't care. You could tell that most of the characters were misogynists (I'm not including Scot).

I hated the villains. They were basically uber-violent neanderthals, and we were supposed to think they were elite and super-smart. The puppetmaster was a bit more intelligent, I suppose, but he didn't work for me as a villain either. The more I think about it, the more this reminds me of 80s action films. Don't get me wrong, I love action movies. But there were a few that were just so roided out and extremely violent, they made the whole genre look bad.

I see how highly rated this book is, and I'm sorry. I don't agree at all. By the end of this book, I was almost ready to give it 1.5 stars. I rounded up to 2. Will I continue this series? It's not at the top of my list. I think my standards are too high after Orphan X, Scarecrow and Court Gentry.

Normally, I don't rant about books this much. Once in a blue moon, I'll read a book that brings that out in me, and this one's it. Sadly, this was the first book I read this year.
Overall Rating: 2.0/5.0 stars.





No comments:

Post a Comment

When Schools Attack

  A Deadly Education by Naomi Novik My Rating: Five out of Five Stars. My Review on Goodreads Here I am, almost three years late writing thi...