Sunday, December 5, 2021

 


Tripwire by Lee Child

My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars



Gosh. I read this almost a year ago. I still remember some things very well. The villain is really, really horrible. He's a cruel person, but also a sociopath. I think the two things in life he really enjoys is making money and hurting people. Lee Child has a way of incorporating some very brutal people into his work. His work feels very noir to me.

The mystery is very good. Jack Reacher is very Jack Reacher. He's a down to business kind of hero who knows what he does well. He is a huge guy and might give the impression of being a thug, but he's also intelligent and an excellent detective. I found it quite interesting that Jack was working as a ditch digger when the book begins. He's that kind of guy who has no problem with taking a job that is very "menial". I like that people often underestimate him. I haven't made my mind up about the romance yet (yeah, I know, a year later). I think it's because I've read some of the books out of order, and my brain doesn't see the happy ending between Jack and Jodie. I am a romance fan, but the romance angle was my least favorite part of the story. I did like seeing the softer side of Jack (if he has one).

My favorite thing about this book was the twisty mystery. I am the kind of reader who likes to guess what's going on the whole time. I thought this one was a gimme, but I was wrong. Very well plotted.

Just a note on the narrator. He was really good. He seems to have a very good time reading this book. He nailed all the characters.


No comments:

Post a Comment

When Schools Attack

  A Deadly Education by Naomi Novik My Rating: Five out of Five Stars. My Review on Goodreads Here I am, almost three years late writing thi...