Sunday, December 5, 2021

Into the Fire


Lord's Fall by Thea Harrison (Elder Races #5)

My Review: 5 out of 5 stars



 Clearly, my brain was not it this past year. I read this book and I didn't even add it to my reading/read list. I was not really that into another book about Dragos and Pia. Hear me out! I love them so much, but I prefer to have a new set of characters and just hear about the previous characters. Having said that, this book knocked my socks off! It was so good.


I had no idea how deeply enthralling this would be. I should never have doubted Thea Harrison. I'm ashamed that I did. Quite honestly, with all that life has challenged me in lately, I just wasn't feeling that drawn in by romance novels over the past year or so. Rereading Dragon Bound really helped rekindle my love. I listened to these on Audible Escape before it went away, and I am so glad I did. The narrator is amazing. I believe her name is Sophie Eastlake, and I need to listen to more of the books she narrates. I think I will always hear her clear, emotive voice in my head when I think of the books from now on. Sadly, now I am in a fix because I think I will need to listen to them on audiobook. Incidentally, I've almost finished this series by the time of writing the book. I now just have the short stories to read (and the newer Pia/Dragos/Peanut stories).

Anyway, I went off on a tangent. I was transfixed by the deep dive into the Elven world of the Elder Races. Because of situations, Pia and Dragos get drawn into a terrible conflict involving the Elven Court and their homelands. This book has some major Lord of the Rings vibes too it, and I was not made at all. The storyline was wildly creative in my opinion. I felt as though I was reading a high fantasy novel in some parts. There are some seriously dark elements that I can't even go into without spoiler. Much like Kresley Cole, Thea Harrison's plotting and ability to keep track of her storylines and characters is flawless. She has built such a complex world that I think she really could just keep writing these books. I don't know if she'll do more than just the Pia and Dragos stories, but I hope she does more. (as I mentioned in my review of Oracle's Moon), I'm still hopeful for a book about Phaedra.

Sometimes I can get a little jaded with a continuing romance about the same characters, or I fear for something terrible happening to break them up. Thankfully that is not the case. Yet this was far from boring because there is so much going on in this book, and we also get to see this couple weather through it as a united front that is deeply in love. I am happy that I was pleasantly surprised. The end was so satisfying. It made me happy and peaceful and gave me a glow in my heart. If she ended the series with that ending, it would have been satisfying as far as Pia and Dragos story. I'm glad she didn't though.

I don't think I comment much more without veering into spoiler territories. In hindsight, I love how this book sets up later entries in the series so well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

When Schools Attack

  A Deadly Education by Naomi Novik My Rating: Five out of Five Stars. My Review on Goodreads Here I am, almost three years late writing thi...