Saturday, November 20, 2021

Setting the Stage

 


Blood of Elves (The Witcher #1) by 

My Rating: 3 out of 5 stars


Yikes. I read this and I never added it to my currently reading shelf. I think I read this in the winter, Februaryish. I found this really slow. I think it's more an expansive introduction to the characters in Geralt's life, such as Yennefer and Ciri. It's very talky. While I like dialogue and character development, I was jarred by how different it was from The Last Wish. I haven't watched the tv show yet, but I imagine it's nice to have this introduction into the world.

I'm not a big fan of political maneuverings in my readings, and that's a huge part of this book. Also it's sort of a coming of age as a big focus of the book is Ciri. Ciri's story is tragic, yet she is giving a second family of sorts, and an adoptive father figure in Geralt.

I don't know if it was just me, but I felt like Geralt wasn't in this one as much. That's a big part of why I was disappointed. I also missed the folklore bits. There's more stuff about magic systems and the religious practices, and of course, the political maneuvering. I missed the monster hunting and fighting a lot.

I am still excited about this series and will definitely keep buying and reading the books, but sadly, I found this one a little dry.


Check out My Profile on Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment

When Schools Attack

  A Deadly Education by Naomi Novik My Rating: Five out of Five Stars. My Review on Goodreads Here I am, almost three years late writing thi...