Sunday, January 14, 2024

When Schools Attack

 

A Deadly Education by Naomi Novik

My Rating: Five out of Five Stars.

My Review on Goodreads


Here I am, almost three years late writing this review. I just never got around to it, until now. Yeah, I was so sucked into this book. It's really dark. This is about kids who go to a school that is literally trying to kill them because they are magic-users. The goal is to get to Graduation Day, which you hope that you can survive. And they are much safer in the school than elsewhere. It's giving moreso The Hunger Games than Harry Potter.

The narrator is El, and she is extremely sarcastic and negative, ill-tempered/grumpy. However, she has great reason. She is avoided and/or disliked by the other students because a prophecy says she's going to be the Dark Lord (or Lady). But the reader doesn't ever have any reason to see her that way. And it made me think hard about how we prophecy over people in our society (I mean in a non-religious sense). We put people into categories and assume that they will be this or that. That's a huge burden for anyone to carry, so it makes sense that it has made El the way she is, despite her sweet, kind, loving mother.

If it sounds like I don't like her, I actually loved her. I appreciated her snark and her smarts, and the vulnerability she managed to hide from most people shone through (a great choice for Novik to write this in first person).

I tend to avoid a lot of YA because I don't like the tone for most of them, but I'm irresistibly drawn to boarding school stories, and I love fantasy, so this was very up my alley. I'm also a huge anglophile and this book feels very British. As a feverish watcher of British television shows, this was almost a comfort read. Having said that, it is very dark because kids are constantly dying in this book. It's terrible how vulnerable this kids are and there doesn't seem to be a huge push from adults to save them. In that sense it definitely reminds me of fare like The Hunger Games and Battle Royale. I think the humor and the pragmatic and deadpan voice of El makes this book a lot more comfortable than it should have been on paper.

**A note about one aspect that I can see as problematic about someone's hair making them at risk for being preyed upon by monsters. I don't think it was meant to be culturally insensitive, but I completely acknowledge why it caused offense. I think that it's super important for authors to think about those aspects and get people from those communities to read their books so that doesn't happen.

I like romance, but I agree it can take over a non-romance book very quickly. I liked how the chemistry between El and Orion was handled. I'm not going to lie. Orion gave me a big Draco Malfoy vibe.

Yeah, this was fun, enjoyable, unputdownable. I'm so glad I listened to the audiobook because it made this such an immersive experience. I still need to listen to the next books in the series. This is the third book by Naomi Novik that I've read and this is another five star read for me.

Check out my profile on Goodreads!

No comments:

Post a Comment

When Schools Attack

  A Deadly Education by Naomi Novik My Rating: Five out of Five Stars. My Review on Goodreads Here I am, almost three years late writing thi...