Saturday, December 30, 2023


 

A Heart of Blood and Ashes (A Gathering of Dragons) by Milla Vane

My Rating: Four out of Five Stars

My Review on Goodreads


I started this one on audiobook a long time ago and it had to go back to the library before I was very far into it. But I was intrigued enough to buy a copy on Audible. I have been listening to this at night, which is not something that I'd advise. I would fall asleep and have to rewind it multiple times. I think I fell asleep on the same scene at least twice and had to rewind it. However, sometimes I do this when it takes a while for my brain to unwind. This alone is is why it took so long to finish. I was very torn about the rating and I'll discuss why.

Do you ever read a book where you instantly fall for one of the characters, but are rather 'meh' about the other? That was me with this book, I loved Yvenne. I love me a tormented heroine. I love when the heroine is vulnerable and unsure, but has a core of strength and has to gain confidence in herself. I was fully onboard for Yvenne and watching her evolution. I honestly didn't think that Maddek deserved her. By the end of the book I was a little more okay with him, and I loved how he proved himself at the end. But he put Yvenne through a lot of crap along the way.

While some aspects of the worldbuilding were not super clear, I did appreciate the uniqueness of the setting and the overall backstory. Honestly, I would have loved more of the dark fantasy aspects, but I get this was a romance book, so that had to take a back seat to the romance story. At times, that was what kept me reading. I was not always feeling the romance, so the fantasy aspect captured me. I loved how Yvenne was goddess touched and the goddess saw through her eyes. Her eyes were a very unique moonstone/silver blue color. Loved that. It seems like reptiles fill a lot of the ecological niches and that was weird in a good way. Would I want to eat some of the meat they ate? Nope! I liked the concept of the way Marrek's society/tribe worked. They felt kind of a like a semi-nomadic kind of group. I did get some Khal Drogo Dothraki vibes, and I'm okay with that. I liked their warrior culture. What I didn't like was how crappy he treated Yvenne. I realize that he was grieving and was angry and was looking for someone to blame, but I think it was pretty clear early on that Yvenne was a good person wasn't responsible for his parents' betrayal. But he just wanted revenge and that's all he saw.

I like a sexy bargain, I won't lie. I liked how Yvenne used what she had available to make a deal with Marrek. She knew he hated her, but he hated their mutual enemy more. I can see why he fell for her, but I don't see why she fell in love with him. Sorry, but I just didn't buy it. He was too mean and the safety he offered was negligible, only slightly better than what she faced with her father and brothers. However, she was in between a rock and a hard place. Having said that, it had kind of a Harlequin Presents (mean hero, sweet heroine) vibe in a fantasy setting that I was intrigued by.

I know it's a me thing but it was too focused on the eroticism for me. I know a lot of it is because I haven't been in such a romance novel kind of mood lately. I found myself getting pulled out of the story when the love scenes happened. Maybe because it seemed more like hate sex on Marrek's part. I liked how Yvenne told Marrek exactly what he needed to hear. He needed that "come to Jesus moment," although he still needed to pull his head out of somewhere. I loved the other members of his Dragon (which is his band of warriors). I grew to appreciate each and every one of them. I loved that they saw Yvenne more clearly than dumbo Marrek did.

The audiobook narrator was very good. They got me very engrossed into the storyline and I feel like they nailed the voices. She captured the fantastical moments and the action really well.

This is one of those books where the conclusion saves the book. I was thinking this would be a three star, but the ending bumped up the rating for me. I can do without a lot of the sex scenes, which were high on the erotica scale but it felt kind of excessive to me (ymmv), but I was intrigued by the story and I want to read future books in the series.

Check out my profile on Goodreads!

No comments:

Post a Comment

When Schools Attack

  A Deadly Education by Naomi Novik My Rating: Five out of Five Stars. My Review on Goodreads Here I am, almost three years late writing thi...