Sunday, September 24, 2023


 

Uprooted by Naomi Novik

My Rating: 5 out of 5 stars.

My Review on Goodreads


This was my first book by Naomi Novik. And wow. It reads like a dark fairy tale with all the horrific violence and subject matter to be expected. But there's also a romance at its center. So much happens in this book, I was glad I listened to the audiobook, because it brought it to life for me. I feel like this book definitely skews towards a horror novel in many ways. Novik goes hard into the horror imagery, in my opinion. I have a fear of contagion and this book triggered me. Also, I've never been afraid of trees until this book.

I am a sucker for an underdog hero. I loved Agnieszka. She was very determined and quite fearless in the face of some really scary circumstances. I also loved the Dragon. I'm always drawn to a grumpy hero who falls hard. I appreciated the romance very much. He reminded me of an Anne Stuart hero. Iykyk. I also liked how Agnieszka has something to teach the Dragon as much as he has to teach her.

The narrator was really good. I loved their accent so much. It's been a minute since I read this, but I think want to re-listen even though it was scary and disturbing in parts. This would make a good animated film because I think it would be a bit too bloody in parts for me to comfortably watch a live action, and I wouldn't want it to be cut (those parts are important to the narrative). I think it'd love this as an animated movie.

I think this is a perfect read for lovers of dark fairy tales veering into horror with romance. But beware. Some of the imagery and scenes are pretty disturbing, and you will never look at trees the same way again.

*I wish I had written my review sooner, because I don't think it's doing this book justice.*

No comments:

Post a Comment

When Schools Attack

  A Deadly Education by Naomi Novik My Rating: Five out of Five Stars. My Review on Goodreads Here I am, almost three years late writing thi...