Friday, November 25, 2022

Tales for Spooky Season


 The October Country by Ray Bradbury


My Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars.


My Review on Goodreads

I really wanted to finish this in October.  Sadly, I finished it on November 1st.  I love Ray Bradbury, but I was a bit underwhelmed with this collection. Honestly, I disliked the first few stories intensely.  As I got further along I found I did start to like some of the stories.  It was so weird, because I normally eat up Ray Bradbury's prose, but some some reason, the audiobook narration was not working for me.  Maybe it was the narrator.   For sure, a bad narrator fit to the story can definitely mess up a reading experience.  The reader did capture the feel of the Early 20th Century to Mid-Century, which is the setting for the build of these stories, but he was a bit, I don't know, dry for me.  It could have been my mood as well.


I won't go through all the stories, because the ones that I didn't like, didn't impress me at all. I'll talk instead about the ones I appreciated the most.



"The Lake"

A sad story about regrets.  3 stars.


"The Emissary"

I really liked this story.  There are unanswered questions that make you think about the story long after it ends.  4 stars.


"Touched With Fire"

Wow, this story is timely for the particular era we live in.  3 stars.


"The Small Assassin"

Very dark, but I loved it.  The thought is so scary!  Why don't people listen to women?  5 stars.


"The Crowd"

This one was super creepy!  3 stars.


"Jack-in-the-Box"

Very fanciful in a characteristically Ray Bradbury way.  3.5 stars.


"The Scythe"

I liked epic scale of this novel. It goes to some truly existentially dark places. 4 stars.


"The Man Upstairs"

This was weird and kind of creepy.  I don't know whether to be more afraid of the man or the boy!  5 stars.


"There Was an Old Woman"

I loved this story. It has a really good sense of humor that had me chuckling.  5 stars


"Homecoming"

I liked the Addams Family vibe to this story. I need to check out the full-length novel based on these characters.  3.5 stars.


My overall impression of this volume is disappointment.  I wish I had read it instead of listening to it.  I have it on my Kindle and a paperback copy stored away, so I'll try to reread the book without the audio and see how I like it in the future.  I could see these as vignettes in a tv series.   Perhaps some were on the Ray Bradbury show back in the day.


I'd have to give this one <b>3.5 stars</b>.

No comments:

Post a Comment

When Schools Attack

  A Deadly Education by Naomi Novik My Rating: Five out of Five Stars. My Review on Goodreads Here I am, almost three years late writing thi...