Saturday, October 22, 2022

Reinventing Jane

 


The Death of Jane Lawrence by Caitlin Starling


My rating: 3.75 out of 5 stars.


My Review on Goodreads


This is the kind of book where you wonder what the heck you're reading. If you don't like those kinds of books, don't read this one. If you like books where the book is a journey as much inside of the character's mind as they are about plot progression, you might like this one. I really enjoy gothic horror, so that's why I picked this up. It definitely has a gothic feel. I feel like the focus on the house really nails that, and the atmosphere the author built was so effective. But is this predictable in any way? No. It was completely unlike what I expected. For some reason, I was thinking it was going in previously tread paths of classic gothic books I've read. No, it's not at all. It's hard to say what the book is about without spoiling the experience. Honestly, I'm not sure I can explain it.

While this is far from the best book I've ever read, and there was more than one moment when I asked myself why I was still reading, I got to a point where I didn't want to put it down because I felt I had gone too far to abandon the journey. Also I became emotionally attached to Jane. She went through so much in this book, and her refusal to give up on the important goal she held made me not want to give up on the story.

I'd give it an A for atmosphere. However, I think other than Jane, the characterization is a little thin, so probably more like a B- in that area. I feel that other characters seem like game pieces that are moved around, and are in service of Jane's journey of self-discovery. The concept is really high, but I do question how well it's executed, so that gets me into a dither of how to rate this novel. I feel that as a reader, being treated to something different, and being taken on a journey is something I definitely appreciate. Lastly, was my level of overall satisfaction to consider. The narrator was good, but her way of telling the story was a bit dry. There are parts that are pretty eerie, but I think with a different delivery, I feel they could have been more scary than the were. I was so glad to finish the book because I felt worn out by trying to figure out what was going on, so that's probably not ideal I feel like you should enjoy a book and be kind of sad when it's over. Having said that, I was satisfied with the ending, and I feel rewarded that I did finish the book. So, you can see why I had trouble rating this. Ultimately, this comes down to a 3.75 star rating for me. Despite my misgivings about pacing and characterization, I really appreciate what Starling accomplished here. It takes a gothic set piece to a different arena and explores the dimensions of what a gothic horror novel can deliver.

Trigger Warnings: Body horror, medical/surgical procedure descriptions

No comments:

Post a Comment

When Schools Attack

  A Deadly Education by Naomi Novik My Rating: Five out of Five Stars. My Review on Goodreads Here I am, almost three years late writing thi...