Sunday, December 19, 2021

Journey With A God

 


Gods of Jade and Shadow by Silvia Moreno-Garcia

My Review: 5 out of 5 stars


I am a Silvia Moreno-Garcia stan and I've only read two of her books. I will be grabbing more as soon as I can.

And can we get more fantasy books set in the 1920s-1930s please? And about non-European folklore/mythology/traditions? Set in Mexico? If you have been wanting read a book based on Meso-American mythology, than pick this up.

Casiopea is treated like unpaid servant by her mother's family. Her grandfather is ailing after a very long life, and her cousin is a spoiled rich boy who gets whatever he wants. She dreams of escaping and having an exciting life, but it's unlikely she'll ever get that chance. One day she opens a box in her grandfather's room and frees the imprisoned Maya god of death. They are bound together through her lifeforce, so she is obligated to help him regain his throne from the brother who stole it away. Casiopea is about to have the adventure she longed for.

This was like nothing I've read before. It's so lyrical and is rich with magical realism. Moreno-Garcia is a wordsmith. She writes such beautiful descriptions that immerse the reader in the world she has crafted through her books. The descriptions of the Maya underworld as vivid and as frightening as they are luscious. The sights and sounds of Mexico through the voracious eyes of Casiopea and the humorous insight of a thousands of years old god in the at the time modern world. And of course the luxurious clothing and decorations of the 1920s (Art Deco, Jazz Age) work together to make this book a feast for the sense.

I really enjoyed reading this. It feels like a longer fairy tale story which I find so appealing. Casiopea has the strong, enduring nature and the childlike belief of a fairy tale heroine. But she's also spunky and sassy and meets challenges heads on. Hun-Kamé's arrogance and godly presumptions don't stand a chance against her. No wonder he falls for her, even though what future do they have together?

I really enjoyed the experience of reading this book. It showcases the strong talent that Silvia Moreno-Garcia has. I love how she infuses the Latin-American cultures in her books and brings that underlooked perspective into speculative fiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment

When Schools Attack

  A Deadly Education by Naomi Novik My Rating: Five out of Five Stars. My Review on Goodreads Here I am, almost three years late writing thi...