Friday, November 26, 2021

The Final Countdown

 


The Last Olympian by Rick Riordan (Percy Jackson and the Olympians #5)

My Rating: 5 out of 5 stars


Another book I forgot to add to my reading list and to rate. I read this one in the late summer and it was fantastic. It's everything that I loved about the series, but the intensity was ramped up to 100. Everything that is introduced, teased about and built up is resolved or addressed to my satisfaction. Percy really learns who he is and what he's capable of. The conflict between him and the ongoing big bad is wonderfully resolved, and there is some insight into a character who has had a major arc throughout the series. Sadly, beloved characters die, which is very hard to read. But it brings home the cost of war. The action sequences are epic, vivid and dramatic but the book also has some equally successful character interactions that reveal just as much about the story. I also want to add how much fun it was to see New York City through the viewpoint of an epic battle between demigods and Titans.

Jesse Bernstein always does an excellent job narrating these audiobooks. He capably manages both the hilarious and deeply sad moments.

I wish I had been able to write the review back when I read it, because I could have written a more expansive review to give the book justice. However, I can definitely say that I have loved reading the Percy Jackson series. I'm excited to read the related series, and also the Kane Chronicles.

No comments:

Post a Comment

When Schools Attack

  A Deadly Education by Naomi Novik My Rating: Five out of Five Stars. My Review on Goodreads Here I am, almost three years late writing thi...