Sunday, October 24, 2021

The Swamp Has Its Secrets

 


Swamp Thing, Vol.1: The Saga of the Swamp Thing by Alan Moore (writer),  
 (Artist),
 
 (Artist

My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

My Review on Goodreads

I was reading this over a long period, in spurts. With the craziness of life, I just haven't had much time to read graphic novels, unfortunately. I read this on my Ipad, which is really good for looking at comic panels. I love how the Kindle (Comixology) version allows you to tap on each panel and it magnifies the panel. This is the Alan Moore classic that revamped the character. It's very, very dated in the art style, but that's okay. It's historical. The colors are really bright, almost obnoxiously so. It's an 80s comic printing thing, and as I've studied comic art history, that was kind of fun to experience the medium. I was quite pleasantly surprised at how scary this was. Each story is kind of like a monster of the week format, which I absolutely love. For such an older comic, it really was spooky, scary and disturbing. In fact, this would have made a good Halloween read. I think I finished it in the late spring, so unfortunately, I didn't get to enjoy the spookiness for October. I definitely ship Swamp Thing/Alec and Abigail. Their doomed(ish) romance appeals to my sensibilities. I had watched the short-lived but very good DC TV show Swamp Thing and it was nice to compare it with the comic story (it holds up very well, IMO).

There's something about Swamp Thing that I really dig, so I know I'll be reading more.

I would recommend reading this if you don't mind the dated look of 80s era comic books.




No comments:

Post a Comment

When Schools Attack

  A Deadly Education by Naomi Novik My Rating: Five out of Five Stars. My Review on Goodreads Here I am, almost three years late writing thi...