Sunday, October 24, 2021

Heart of Darkness

 


Nightwise(Nightwise #1) by  R.S. Belcher 

My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars


This is the darkest urban fantasy book I've read so far. And that's saying something. Nightwise is definitely well named and the lead character is as dark gray as a hero can get. Some might not even call him a hero. Think John Constantine, and you're close to getting an idea of Laytham Ballard, but throw in some Appalachian style homespun and generational magical heritage. Laytham came into his power under the tutelage of his beloved granny, but she was unable to save him from the dark path he eventually ended up traveling. Many years later, Laytham has been in places that angels would fear to tread, and has perfected the ability to be highly selfish. It's not that he doesn't do good, but there's always a bit of an ulterior motive. While he's the lead character, and not exactly a good guy, he's the guy you'd want standing between you and those creatures lurking in the dark.

The writing is very good, and that made some of the scenes that much more disturbing. I'd definitely give this one a content warning for sure. I'll never forget this book, partly because of some of the circumstance under which I listened to the audiobook. I drove home in one of the worst blizzards I've ever had to drive in. I could barely see the roads, so I was praying the whole way. It was me and Bronson Pinchot's voice reading this book. There was such an eerie feeling, but at the same time it was comforting, because that voice was a point of connection as I almost blindly navigated through a sea of white. I think that in this sense I'll remember this book fondly, although at the same time, I have in some ways tried to block out some of the most skin crawling moments that I didn't want to pull out of my memory for reflection.

I am truly in love with the urban fantasy genre. I especially love occult detectives. I like my share of anti-heroes, but I suppose I like the more romanticized versions of them. Laytham is not in any way romanticized. He doesn't pretend to be a good buy. He is just himself. But I am so glad that there was one thing in the book that I was praying he would do the right thing on, and he did it. I think down deep that boy that loved his Granny so much is still there deep inside, and it's a pale light in the darkness of his heart that is a source of hope for him.

Will I read the next book? Of course I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment

When Schools Attack

  A Deadly Education by Naomi Novik My Rating: Five out of Five Stars. My Review on Goodreads Here I am, almost three years late writing thi...